Finally I received my long waiting Microsoft Band few days ago, playing it with it for first 48hrs and I try to explore what can a developer doing with it.
Since Microsoft has released the Preview version of SDK for Microsoft Band, I decided to give it a try and find what can I do with it.
My first impression, some how this Microsoft Band SDK 1.3.10219-preview is pretty much limited. A lot of cool thing that you want to do with it, is not there. Since this is my first post regarding Microsoft Band SDK 1.3.10219-preview, I general summarized it as CAN and CANNOT:
What you CAN DO with Microsoft Band SDK 1.3.10219-preview:
- Read total of 8 sensors' reading:
- Accelerometer: AccelerationX, AccelerationY, AccelerationZ and TimeStamp;
- Contact: State (Worn / NotWorn) and TimeStamp;
- Distance : CurrentMotion (Idle, Jogging, Running, Walking and Unknown), Pace, Speed, Total Distance and TimeStamp;
- Gyroscope : AccelerationX, AccelerationY, AccelerationZ, AngularVelocityX, AngularVelocityY, AngularVelocityZ and TimeStamp;
- HeartRate: HeartRate, Qualtity and TimeStamp;
- Pedometer: TotalSteps and TimeStamp;
- Skin Temperature : Temperature and TimeStamp;
- Ultraviolet : ExposureLevel and TimeStamp;
- Vibrate the Band in 9 different patterns
- NotificationOneTone, NotificationTwoTone, NotificationAlarm, NotificationTimer, OneToneHigh, TwoToneHigh, ThreeToneHigh, RampUp, RampDown;
- Send a short message to the Band
- Dialog Notification that contain a title, body text and timestamp with a “Dimiss Button”;
- Message Notification that contain a title, body, the message will be truncated after 140 characters. However, it does support the quick read functionality (activated by pressing “Action Button”). The app tile will accumulate up to 8 notifications.
- Change the "Me Tile" background and Theme color of the Band
- Create a tile for your app
What you CANNOT DO with Microsoft Band SDK 1.3.10219-preview:
- Display any kind of custom image or layout. As the result, you can’t build your own Sbux app :(
- Customized the message layout.
- No interaction from the Band back to your phone apps.
- Galvanic Skin Response (GSR) sensor reading is not available.
- Customized the Hardware buttons.
- Read historical sensors data.
Since this is still a Preview version of Microsoft Band SDK, it is still too early to say I’m satisfied or disappointed; It is always good to see and hope the future update to the SDK will provide developers more flexibility.
Download the Microsoft Band SDK Preview